Complaints about ALRA

ALRA (the Academy of Live and Recorded Arts) closed on 4 April 2022.

If you were studying at ALRA in 2021/22 you may have questions arising from the closure and about whether you can complain to us.


Why has ALRA closed?

ALRA has closed because it was no longer financially viable (it ran out of money). Although we understand ALRA explored a number of different options, unfortunately it was not able to find a way to stay open.

I was in the middle of my studies at ALRA. What should I do now?

All ALRA students were offered a place to complete their studies at Rose Bruford College.

We understand that many ALRA students have been able to transfer to Rose Bruford College or to another higher education provider during 2021/22. 

If you did not transfer to another higher education provider immediately, but would still like to do so you should contact St Mary’s University, Twickenham for advice about what you can do next.

It is important that you seek advice about what will be best for you individually to do, as different students will have different circumstances (e.g. if you are an international student with a visa, if you already receive DaDA funding).

Can I complain to the OIA?

Yes. ALRA a member of our Scheme and so ALRA students can complain to us until April 2023. But because ALRA has closed, we may not be able to fully review your complaint, and if we were to uphold your complaint it is likely that ways to put things right would be very limited.

Before you fill in our Complaint Form, it may be helpful to talk to us first. You can call us on 0118 989 9813. Or you can email

Tell us briefly what you are unhappy about and what outcome you are hoping for. You can ask us to call you back, or we can reply by email if you prefer.

If you already have a Completion of Procedures Letter from a complaint you made to ALRA before it closed, and you want to bring your complaint to us, you should fill in our Complaint Form as soon as possible.

If you have transferred to a new higher education provider and are dissatisfied with something that has happened there, you may be able to complain to us about that. As a first step, you should raise your concerns with the provider you are studying at.

Will I get my tuition fees back because ALRA has closed?

No. The fact that ALRA has closed does not mean that you will get a refund of tuition fees for any tuition delivered before the closure. This is because up until the closure, ALRA had been delivering teaching and assessment as usual. 

Will I get financial compensation because ALRA has closed?

We understand that ALRA closing has been very distressing for students. Your options might mean that you have moved to a course which doesn’t quite match what you hoped to receive at ALRA. You may have decided that you were not able to continue your studies immediately.

ALRA closed because it did not have enough money to keep going. Unfortunately, this means there is no money to pay compensation to students for the distress and inconvenience the closure has caused. 

Do I still have to pay my tuition fees for study before April 2022?

If you owe fees for tuition that was delivered before ALRA closed, you are still liable for this debt. It is possible that you will be asked to pay this money, even though ALRA has closed.

I am worried about money. Will I get my next student loan and/or DaDA payment?

Your financial arrangements will depend on your situation and what you have decided to do.

If you have transferred to a different higher education provider, you should ask that provider for advice about any issues with student funding.

If you have not transferred to a different provider you should contact St Mary’s University for advice (details above).

You can find details about how to contact the Student Loans Company here: Guidance on contacting the Student Loans Company. 

If you are very worried about your financial situation, then you could speak to:

I am an international student. Is my visa still valid?

Now that ALRA has closed, it can’t continue to sponsor international students. If you have transferred to another higher education provider, they should be able to give you advice about any visa requirements.

If you have not transferred to another higher education provider you may need to seek independent advice about how long you can remain in the UK. You could speak to UKCISA.

You can find information about some other sources of support for students on our website.

Statement on ALRA

It has been announced that ALRA (Academy of Live and Recorded Arts) has closed.

Sources of support

A helpful list of telephone numbers and websites for helplines and support services.