Full Time or Part Time - Based in Reading, Berkshire
A starting salary range of £26,289 to £29,465 (full time equivalent) per annum is offered subject to skills, knowledge and experience. We operate a 35 hour week but we recognise that this vacancy may also suit someone on a part time basis and we are prepared to be flexible on the number of hours worked. In addition we offer an attractive pension scheme including life insurance and a generous holiday entitlement and gym membership.
Who we are
We are the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA) operating the independent student complaints scheme covering universities in England and Wales under the Higher Education Act, 2004.
We are looking for a communications all-rounder to join the Policy and Communications team to take on a broad role in both internal and external communications. The successful candidate will ensure that the OIA’s work to review student complaints is clearly understood by students and higher education institutions. The post holder will act as web editor, working closely with the Digital Media Officer. He or she will also help shape the internal communications strategy.
The role combines lead responsibility for specific projects with all around communications support on a range of issues. The job will suit someone who is an excellent writer, knows how to plan and deliver a communications strategy and has a clear understanding of how communications fits in to a service delivery organisation. Previous experience working in a similar role in the higher education sector is also desirable but not essential.
This is a great opportunity to contribute to the OIA’s important work supporting students in higher education.
Responsibilities will include
- Researching and writing a range of material including case studies, information for students, presentations and website copy
- Manage specific projects including the development of annual letters to universities
- Support the development of internal communications across the OIA
- Act as editor for the OIA website
- Respond to media inquiries
The successful candidate will have
- Have experience working in a successful communications team
- Be a lateral thinker, able to see the big picture
- Be a versatile writer, able to write for different audiences and different formats
- Have excellent inter-personal skills
- Have a high degree of confidentiality, discretion and integrity
- Be enthusiastic and motivated
- Be a self-starter, proactive and flexible, able to work autonomously
- Have excellent organisational skills, able to prioritise work
- Be ale to interpret simple data
- Be IT literate (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Sharepoint)
If you are interested in applying for this position please complete the online application form and submit it to us with your CV and covering letter attached.
The closing date for the receipt of applications is Sunday 16 November 2014.
Equality & Diversity
We look forward to hearing from you and welcome diversity amongst our staff to reflect the nature of independent adjudication, our users and stakeholders. Therefore we would particularly welcome applications from people from black and minority ethnic backgrounds and people with disabilities, who are under-represented in our workforce. We are committed to Equality of Opportunity.