Many students experience difficulties during their studies, for many different reasons. Your students’ union or student representative body is often a good source of advice and may be able to direct you to further support, and your provider is likely to have advice/wellbeing services that may be able to help.

The cost of living crisis is causing financial difficulties and considerable anxiety and stress for many students. We encourage you to seek support if you need it.

On this page we include information on some external sources of support on various issues that you may find helpful.

Crisis helplines/advice for general mental health

  • Samaritans
    Provide emotional support for people 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They allow people to talk about feelings of distress and despair, are confidential and offer non-judgmental support.
    Call: 116 123 (Free phone, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week) | Email: | Website:
  • Mind Infoline
    Information on types of mental health issues, where to get help, medication and alternative treatments and advocacy.
    Call: 0300 123 3393 (Local phone rates, 9am-6pm, Mon-Fri) | Text: 86463 | Email: | Website:

Financial difficulties/cost of living pressures

Support for rape victims

  • Rape Crisis
    Supports anyone who has experienced rape, child sexual abuse and/or any other kind of sexual violence. Runs local helplines and centres across England and Wales.
    Call: 08088029999 (12pm-2.30pm & 7pm-9.30pm everyday) | Website:

Crime victims

  • Victim Support
    Supports people affected by crime or traumatic events. Confidential free helpline for anyone affected by crime as well as emotional and practical support, including advice on legal proceedings.
    Call: 08081689111 (open 24/7) | Website:

General advice, information and support

  • Citizen’s Advice
    Free, independent information and advice for people on money, legal, consumer, housing and other problems.
    Call: England: ​03444 111 444 | Wales: 03444 77 2020 (9am-5pm, Mon-Fri) | Website:
    Information on all government services, including money, tax, benefits, disability, employment and carers rights.

Do you need help with your complaint?

Help, such as accessibility adjustments, and getting help with making a complaint.